Important Information on Special Enrollment Periods for health coverage
Open enrollment for 2015 through NY State of Health ended on February 15, 2015. The next open enrollment period begins on November 1, 2015. Until then, individuals who experience a Qualifying Life Event may enroll for health coverage in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). NY State of Health has developed a set of resources about this Special Enrollment Period for potential enrollees.
An updated Special Enrollment Period webpage includes these helpful resources:
- New consumer video describing qualifying life events and special enrollment periods (Spanish video coming shortly)
- List of qualifying life events (including the one-time SEP for people who learn that they have a federal tax penalty for 2014)
- Updated consumer SEP fact sheet that can be downloaded and printed (Quantities can be ordered here: http://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/resource/materials-and-publications-o...)
- Links to FAQ documents on SEP
- Dates of the 2016 open enrollment period
This webpage is available in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Italian, Haitian Creole and French.
MLTC UPDATE: PROTECTING LONG-TERM CARE
New York’s not-for-profit long term care providers rank consistently above the statewide average in three areas: quality measures, compliance, and potentially avoidable hospitalizations. However, more than half of these nursing homes have been losing money in the last ten years. Further, they have been particularly hard hit by recent Medicaid reimbursement changes. A report from the Continuing Care Leadership Coalition can be read here.
New York State of Health is the official health plan marketplace where New Yorkers can browse and purchase health insurance plans. Enrollment in the marketplace began October 1, 2013. Learn more by visiting the New York State of Health website.